It’s a milestone day for McGrew Real Estate as we celebrate 70 years of serving buyers and sellers in Lawrence and Douglas County.
It all began in 1951 when Conrad McGrew started McGrew Investment Company at 806 Massachusetts Street. That first year, three agents produced a total of $100,000 in sales. When Conrad died suddenly in 1953, his wife, Viola McGrew, took charge until 1960 when their son John became President and Managing Broker.
Five years later, John entered into a monumental partnership with Bob Billings to develop and market a 400-acre golf course project called Alvamar. Today, Alvamar and its related developments encompass over 3,000 acres in West Lawrence.
The company grew steadily and moved to a new location at 900 Indiana in 1967. Six agents did $800,000 in sales that year. In 1970, the company merged with Lawrence Real Estate and Insurance Company. It was through this merger that McGrew’s insurance division was born, and the company moved 12 agents into new offices at 901 Kentucky.
The bicentennial year of 1976 was also an exciting year for the company. Twenty agents produced $10 million in sales. In addition, McGrew Real Estate moved into a new building on what was the most western edge of Lawrence at 1505 Kasold Drive. Ten years later, McGrew constructed and moved into one of their current locations at 1501 Kasold Drive. Thirty-six agents produced $30 million that year.
In 1996, Gary Nuzum became President of McGrew Real Estate and Mike McGrew was named Vice Chairman. The company had grown to 50 agents and $46 million in sales, and McGrew entered into a merger with Coldwell Banker Gill Real Estate to form Coldwell Banker McGrew Real Estate.
On July 1, 2007, John McGrew retired from management of the company and was succeeded by his son, Mike McGrew, as Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer. That December, the company merged with Lawrence Realty Associates to become McGrew Real Estate.
In March of 2008, Dennis Snodgrass became President and Managing Broker, Gary Nuzum became Senior Vice President of New Construction and Development, and Patrick Flavin became Vice President of Coaching & Mentoring.
Today, McGrew Real Estate has two offices serving the greater Douglas County area: one in Lawrence and one in Eudora. McGrew Real Estate is now home to nearly 80 agents and support staff.
The agency and its agents support various causes in Lawrence and the surrounding areas to better improve the lives of Douglas County residents. We strive to provide exceptional service to those seeking the American Dream of homeownership, and look forward to another 70 years!