“Building for life-long learning!”
Constructed in 1915, Cordley Elementary School opened its doors in 1916 and is the oldest elementary school building still in operation in Lawrence. It sits on 3.46 acres of land in central Lawrence just east of The University of Kansas campus. The school bears the name of Richard Cordley, D.D., an abolitionist minister at Plymouth Congregational Church for 38 years and a survivor of Quantrill’s 1863 raid on Lawrence, who went on to help rebuild the town. Rev. Cordley served on the Lawrence Board of Education for seven years and as president of the board for six years. Cordley school serves 217 students in grades K-6. Beginning in Fall 2007, the school offers a full-day kindergarten program. As a cluster site, Cordley provides English as a Second Language services to English Language Learners.